Not getting your Zzzzzzz's?
Stress and lack of sleep will worsen any health condition you may have lingering:
Lack of sleep will also worsen your stress level by increasing the level of stress hormones (cortisol and norepinephrine). When you have a long-term high cortisol level, you could end up with:
* muscle and bone loss,
* imbalance of other hormones,
* weight gain,
* skin problems,
* and even insomnia.
- That's not exactly what you want!
Also, your immune system is decreased by insufficient sleep. This could result in your body being the host to:
* other pathogens,
* and even cancer!
Yes, a successful fight against cancer cells depends on our natural killer cells in our immune system.
Did you know you can get fat if you don't get enough sleep?
A sleep-deprived body slows your body's processes down and alters the level of the hormones that control appetite.
So, how to get your Zzzzzz's naturally?
Firstly, get a thorough examination to find out if there is a medical reason for your insomnia.
The following are some things that have been found to be successful in winding down and relaxing to get a good night's sleep:
1. taking a warm bath before bed
2. writing down all the things you're worried about and leave them in the book you wrote them in...they can wait for tomorrow - besides you'll be able to think more clearly then
3. avoiding caffeine
4. trying a natural sleep support
5. getting a relaxing massage
6. getting chiropractic adjustments may also help calm the nervous system
Best wishes for a good night's sleep...
Dr Elizabeth Weidlich D.C. www.vitality4us.com
Vitality Chiropractic Wellness Inc.
Disclaimer: This blog is for educational purposes only and not intended to diagnose or treat any condition
SOURCES: Harvard Medical School, http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/importance_of_sleep_and_health